Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Changing Together

We all come from somewhere different.  Not only geographically, but mentally and physically also.  I am a firm believer that all of our experiences, the people we meet, the things we read and taste and see, all shape us into new people everyday.  And by these small steps, we grow. 

There are many theories about people and change.  Some will tell you that people never change.  Some will tell you that people can change.  I believe that we are all changing all the time.  With every breath, every song, every season, we evolve into a newer, updated version of ourselves.  These microscopic changes may go unnoticed, even by us, until one day they are collectively formed into something bigger. 

The guy sitting at the table across from you at lunch may be eating there because it is his favorite restaurant.  But today, his waiter is very rude, service is slow, his soup is bad and his entrée comes out cold.  Tomorrow he tries a new restaurant with a friend and suddenly, he has a new favorite.  A small change, but one that you are witnessing, and may not even realize.

I reflected this morning about the person I was ten years ago.  I did many things I was not proud of, others that I was very proud of.  I was still young and figuring out life and where I stood in the grand scheme of things.  What I noticed, is that when I think back to that me, I don't feel like the same person.  I wonder what must have been going through my head then.  What do I know now that I didn't at that time? 

I understand that I had to progress through all the days of my life to bring me to where I am today.  Every person I have met along the way has contributed to me in some way, big or small.  Some of these people stay with you for the long haul and you will change and grow together.  Some pop into your life for the universal equivalent of a blink, but leave a profound mark.  But each step makes us new. 

The point is everyone is changing everyday.  They may not know it.  Maybe they are working through some traumatic experience.  Maybe they weren't taught the lessons you have been taught.  Maybe they haven't met the same influential people, had the same opportunities, or weren't given the same chances you have been given.  Sometimes it is hard for us to abstain from judging others, but remember, they are not you and you have not lived their life. 

 
#ShareTheLove

No comments:

Post a Comment