Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Simple Kind of Life

It was a nice change of pace listening to the 70's station on the radio at work this weekend.  Normally I spend seven hours singing along with the same twenty songs from the 60's I have heard every weekend for the last two years, but not this week.
I was greeted by the sweet sound of Billy Joel's Piano Man and it was a great morning.  It was followed by Juice Newton's Angel of the Morning, and shortly after by Hotel California.  The mix of oldies couldn't have been better if I had planned it myself.  It was as if someone had picked my brain and played exactly what would start my day off right. 

Now I have always thought of myself as a simple kind of girl.  Not naive, but easy to impress or please.  Like the song from Alvin and the Chipmunks, I "don't want flashy things, fancy cars, diamond rings."  I often find myself saying things like "It's the thought that counts."  I get excited when I can cook a whole meal without burning anything, if I get a good picture on the first try, or when it thunderstorms at night.  So in this case, the music selection that was made on the original airing of the radio program in the 70's, made my day.  And it was only 9 a.m.

But there was more day to come.

I was surprised to find that I got to work with one of my favorite co workers.  He was filling in for another employee, as was I.  Made my day again.

I received compliments from strangers.  My breakfast hit the spot.  The weather was perfect.  I got a hug from a friend.  I shared a wonderful dinner with my neighbor.  And I spent the night cuddled up next to the most beautiful girl in the world. (my daughter)

In retrospect, what I had thought was a long and tiring day, turned out to be a wonderful day.  And it was the little things that made it great.

Someday I will look back and think the same thing about my life.  And I will not be surprised in the least to find that the moments and events that made my life amazing were the little things most people will overlook.  Like the difference the choice of music can make on the perspective for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment