Sunday, January 22, 2012

Time Flies

My daughter turned seven yesterday.

I know it doesn't seem to be life changing in any way.  A seventh birthday doesn't move the earth.  But from my perspective a seventh birthday means so much more.

Evelyn turning seven means I am 26 years old, on my way to 27.  It means that all the time I thought I had to get my life in order after she was born, but before she was old enough to remember is GONE.

It means I am the adult, still in college, not in a career, don't own a house, and still drive a crappy car that I never know is going to start again once I turn it off.

It means that time went faster than I had planned. 

I intended to finish school and buy a home for Evelyn to grow in before she could remember being anywhere but home.  It didn't work that way. 

Time flew by.  I am grateful for what I have, but I feel like at this stage in my life I could have and should have accomplished so much more.  Not only for myself but for my daughter. 

I still look at myself like one of the kids.  I'm not sure if that ever changes.  But it is strange to think that I am the appropriate age to be 'all grown up'.  You know what I mean.  My girl tells me all the time what she wants to be when she grows up.  I still think that way myself, but I am grown up.  My peers are finished with college, married, home owners, and in careers.  I am at that age already. 

On the other hand, my daughter turning seven also means that I have been blessed with seven wonderful years of snuggles, betimes, games, runny noses, snow days, birthday parties, holidays, story times, tears and smiles. 

And if seven more years of all of that, felt like it were here tomorrow, and I had nothing else to show for that seven years, I would take it in a heartbeat. 

So what is the moral of the story?

Time flies.  Enjoy every second. 

No comments:

Post a Comment